BOURNEMOUTH INTERNATIONAL GROWTH PROGRAMME
We’d like to share with you information about Dorset Local Enterprise Partnership’s Bournemouth International Growth (BIG) programme. Officially launched today, the BIG programme is an ambitious major economic growth plan focused on employment and development around Bournemouth Airport. Almost £40 million secured by Dorset Local Enterprise Partnership as part of the Dorset Growth Deal is funding a series of transport and infrastructure investments.
WHY IS IT NEEDED?
Bournemouth Airport is a significant economic asset to Dorset. Nearby, Aviation Business Park is also being redeveloped. However, existing key link roads and transport networks are congested, inadequate and are acting as a barrier to growth. They are in vital need of reconstruction. Poor infrastructure and lack of housing are also hindering growth and need to be transformed if Bournemouth Airport and Aviation Business Park are able to reach their full economic potential.
WHAT WILL THE BIG PROGRAMME DO?
Over the next four years the BIG programme will:
- Transform accessibility to and around Bournemouth Airport through extensive transport improvements;
- Release up to 60 hectares of prime, flexible employment land for high-quality new business premises at Aviation Business Park;
- Provide the single largest employment opportunity in the south east Dorset conurbation with the potential to create up to 10,000 new highly skilled jobs over the next decade;
- Generate up to £500 million of GVA into the area;
- Deliver around 350 new homes of which up to 50 per cent are affordable;
- Deliver increased broadband capacity to Bournemouth Airport and Aviation Business Park;
- Develop a new approach to improve skills and employee development, better tailoring it to the needs of key business sectors (aerospace, aviation, advanced manufacturing, digital media, marine, defence and financial services).
TIMEFRAME FOR THE BIG PROGRAMME?
The BIG programme is already tackling the issue of congested and inadequate road networks around the airport. Last year it kick-started a programme of road improvements, the first being the major renewal of the A338 Bournemouth Spur Road, the key link road to Bournemouth Airport. A series of works will follow all aimed at facilitating better access to the airport
area from the A338 and from the west and unlocking employment land around Wessex Fields.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BIG PROGRAMME?
The BIG programme is being overseen by Dorset Local Enterprise Partnership in collaboration with Aviation Business Park, Bournemouth Borough Council, Bournemouth University, Christchurch and East Dorset Councils, Dorset County Council and Manchester Airports Group.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information about the BIG programme visit the link below: